Fuel contra, which is operated by British fuel giant BP, is facing an uncertain future following a landmark court ruling.
The company said on Tuesday it would appeal against the High Court ruling that upheld the right of BP to investigate whether the fuel contra was being operated in breach of the company’s environmental and health policies.
The ruling comes amid concerns that the fuel source in question has been misused and poses a health risk to its employees and customers.
The company’s fuel contra has been operating at its UK operations for some time.BP has since said it would apply to the High Courts to overturn the ruling.
“The company has taken all necessary steps to ensure that the contra is not operating at any of its UK oil and gas production sites, including in relation to the fuel,” BP said in a statement.
“We will appeal the High Judge’s decision and are confident we will prevail.
We believe that the legal framework that was put in place to protect BP and its employees from possible contamination of the fuel by a fuel source should apply to all of its operations.
BP has also asked the UK’s Serious Fraud Office to conduct a further investigation of the contra.
In a separate statement, BP said it was “deeply disappointed” by the court ruling and it would “continue to fight for our customers and our staff.”
The fuel contra is operated under the name of BP’s Energy Products Division (EPD).
BP, which operates its oil andgas operations in the UK, said the contra was “an independent fuel producer” and BP’s fuel is “no more” than “common oil.”
BP is one of the largest producers of conventional and renewable fuels in the world and supplies fuel to the U.K. power sector, the energy sector, public transport and the public transport sector, including the Royal Mail.
Last month, BP was ordered by the High Street Financial Services Tribunal (HSFT) to pay nearly £3 million ($4.1 million) in compensation to British customers and workers after BP admitted it had breached its own environmental and public health policies in its oil production operations in Scotland.
This came after BP, which was fined £3.5 million ($5.4 million) by the HSWT last year for its role in the BP Deepwater Horizon disaster, admitted that it had used faulty equipment to recover oil from the seafloor.
At the time, BP denied it had ever used faulty gear or equipment in its exploration of the oil wellhead off the Scottish coast.
However, a separate BBC investigation found that BP had repeatedly failed to disclose to regulators that it was using a BP-branded oil rig to extract oil from oil wells near the French port of Suez in 2010.
Following the BBC investigation, BP admitted that BP’s oil production activities were illegal, and it has since been fined £8.5 billion ($12.9 billion).BP’s legal team said in court that the High Floor Tribunal had “instructed BP to provide evidence which it would not have had the right to do had BP failed to comply with the requirements of the law.”
In April 2018, the company said it will appeal against a lower court ruling that allowed it to keep the fuel-containment contra in place.
It said that it will argue in court “that the contra should be re-examined under the new regime.”
It is not yet known how long BP will have to appeal the decision.